Richard N. Podell, M.D., MPH
Clinical Professor Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
908 273 7770
New Patient Information
If you are a NEW PATIENT, follow the steps listed below. Please contact us at (908) 273-7770 if you have any questions.
- Prior to your first visit, please
complete our new patient questionnaire(s) and mail them to our Summit office with your $150 deposit. You can call our office to request a copy via mail or print
them directly from this website.
PLEASE NOTE: We have two different new patient questionnaires.
See also: Forms
- For persons whose main problem is fatigue, muscle pain, stress, sleep, hormones or ANY HEALTH PROBLEM EXCEPT HEADACHE, please download our New Patient General History Questionnaire.
- For persons whose main problem is headache, please download the Headache and Migraine Health History Questionnaire.
- For persons whose main problem is headache but other conditions are also important, completing the Headache questionnaire is usually sufficient, since the Headache and Migraine Health History Questionnaire also asks about other health conditions. However, as the New Patient General History Questionnaire asks for more information about non–headache problems, please feel free to complete both questionnaires, omitting those sections that repeat prior material.
- When you complete the questionnaire(s), be sure you include the separate pages that ask in detail about your past medical treatments and prior lab tests. This is almost always very important information. Also, gather pertinent lab, x–ray reports, consultation letters, etc. so we can review the entire record as we prepare for your visit.
- Mail the completed questionnaires, $150 deposit, and all other medical information (lab records, etc.) to our Summit office. (Except in unusual circumstances, we cannot accept questionnaires or medical records via fax. Sending by mail is strongly preferred.) Please be sure that your phone number and/or email address is correct. Note: Your deposit is credited towards the fee of your first office visit.
- Upon receipt of the deposit and at least the questionnaire(s), we will contact you to set up an appointment. We can only hold office visit time for you when both are received. We schedule 1.5 hours
of the physician’s time and additional time with the nurse educator. You
might imagine the difficulty that results if a new patient fails to show.
If you must cancel, we will refund your deposit provided that you give at least 14 days notice. After 14 days, the doctor will have already devoted time carefully reviewing your case and the deposit is, therefore, non-refundable.
If our response to you is delayed or if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (908) 273-7770.
Laboratory Providers: At our Summit location, we draw blood in the office and usually send the labs to either the Atlantic Health System Laboratory or to Labcorp. At Somerset, there is a Quest lab station nearby. If your health plan prefers a different lab, we will give you a prescription for the lab tests. You can take that prescription to the lab. If you (or your health plan) prefer that your primary physician order the lab tests, we can write out our recommendations for you to give to your primary physician. We will be happy to discuss these with your physician if he or she has questions. We encourage your physicians to call us about any other aspects of your care.
We have no financial interest in any lab test. Our objective is to help you obtain the testing you need as conveniently and as inexpensively as you can.